One of the big perks of being a student is that you get your financial support from the government in 3 big installments. Most students then take that money and spend it on the high street, but my entire loan AND grant this year barely cover my rent (I’d have only £800 to live off from October to July if I didn’t work) so I have to be VERY sensible with the shopping, so I do it on eBay and do for auctions.
And because auctions 95% of the time finish with low final prices, I can get so many things for the same money that I’d spend on 1 item in TopShop or wherever. Yeah, sometimes it doesn’t fit when the item arrives, but it’s not the end of the world if it was only £2! I think out of these items above the most expensive items were the shoes (retailed in TopShop for £50, I paid £10) and the 3 necklaces and none of those were more than £6-10 each. I’ve even once managed to buy 2 jackets for less than £3 each (plus p&p)! So all in all for the items above I’ve spent less than £60 – and that includes p&p!
Tips for low cost eBay shopping
- search only for the size you need (possibly add the color too)
- select sellers from your country only
- select auctions only
- sort search results by ‘ending soonest’
- set a maximum for the price range
- decide what you would maximum pay for the item you want to bid on and set that as max bid
- stay away from your computer when auction comes to its end to avoid rush bidding
Have you ever bought stuff off eBay? What did you spend your Student Loan/Grant on?
Miss drifted Snow White